We would find it helpful if there was some sort of unmerging contacts option. We've been in the predicament a few times where contact record was merged or updated incorrectly and we've needed to revert back to the original data and had to do it manually. Depending on the contacts that were merged and their historical enrolments the manual process involves some or all of these processes:
- Creating a new contact record
- Copying the data from the existing contact record into the new contact record
- Going to the staging environment (hopefully the data is still there) and manually recording the info from the staging environment into the old contact record
- Unenrolling the contact from workshops/courses that were included as part of the merge
- Reenrolling the contact into workshops/courses that were originally there
We haven't found a good way of addressing the issue with finance details and notes yet. They're just something we almost have to live with for the life of the student/record.
We also experience a similar issue when a student uses the aXcelerate wordpress enrolment widget to enrol into the course when they use a generic email address. For example:
- A student enrols using a generic email address (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- At a later date, a different student uses the same generic email address to enrol into a course
- We have the verification setting enabled in enrolment form so the student is unable to proceed with the enrolment until they click on the link in the resumption email
- The new student clicks on the link that was sent to the generic email address and proceeds with the enrolment form.
- The student changes all of the existing details with their own details which changes the contact record information in aXcelerate
If we haven't picked up on the error before the staging environment has been updated it's extremely difficult to accurately update both records.
We think that an option to unmerge contact records might resolve the issues as explained above.
The other option that we think would help towards resolving the issue when it occurs (and provide a lot of information that other clients have been asking for) is if there was an audit log of all changes that occured to a students contact record.
Please sign in to leave a comment.